Monday, February 5, 2007

Dream job?

So I have been offered my first official job but the kind request has been denied. I sent my resume to a bakery and the owner was actually hiring (yes this is shocking, turns out bakeries are rarely hiring) and I interviewed this morning. The place is called 'L'artiste Patisserie' and I went to the web site and was instantly impressed. Well this impression did not last long once I entered the bakery. The shelves were nearing empty and there was still fruit cake leftover for sale from the holidays! I mean I know that fruitcake flavors develop with age but come on, this ain't no fine wine! I met with the owner for a brief interview (I didnt even have to work for a try-out nor did he ask for references) and said the position was for a part-time Pastry Chef, none of that assistant title that I am used to. I would be the sole pastry chef at the place. He showed me the kitchen and bascially told me that I had the job as long as I wanted it (he did have one more interview that day).
Something just didnt seem right. It was all too easy. No try-out. No competition. No reference check. No nothing.
He said he would get back to me this afternoon so I had time to mull it over in my head. Memories of the pearls of wisdom that the Nazi chef who visited our Hirose class came flooding in. I remember exactly what he said about taking a position that you may not be ready for. He said that it may look great on a resume but when put into practice you may fall short. Wouldn't be great to leave culinary school and have a position of Pastry Chef? Wow. But I realized I still need to be trained, I need guidance so that I can get better. How else can I evaluate my performance if no one is there breathing down my neck, telling me I did or did not do something properly?
So as if you cant tell, I turned down the position. It wasn't a tough decision just based on the weird vibe I got from the place. I mean maybe there is no pastry chef right now and they are desperate. But I couldn't take it. I am still searching for something perfect for me. It may take longer than I hope but I'll find it.

1 comment:

izzie said...

Natalie you did the right thing by going with your instincts. If it makes you feel any better I can tell you that you are not alone, and a lot of ppl from our class is still struggling to find that "it" job. So while you're waiting enjoy the sunshine and explore the city!

p.s. Will someone please email jed and tell him how to log onto our citykids blog. He said he sign up for blogger already but doesn't know what to do next. He needs help!