Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Selfish?

Warning: Angry rant below

So last week, it was brought to my attention that one of the cooks was hiding ingredients he had prepped from the morning crew. That night, I purposely put the said ingredient away in the walk in to make sure they were not hidden. Five minutes later, the cook goes into the walkin, right in front of me, and he hides the ingredient again.

Last night was slow and a perfect night to be training a new cook. One of the last tickets we got was a five top that had an order for a vegetarian pasta plate, 3 orders of fish, and 1 order of sweetbreads (all my station). The guy who would normally take care of pasta was off, so I asked the other experienced cook what to make, and if he could make this plate of pasta. He comes back at me with, "It's not my job, you're the chef." This totally caught me off guard and pissed me off. I can't believe he would say that to any co-worker, let alone someone who was supposed to "be in charge." So I go ahead and make all the orders, ignoring him the whole time. He has the audacity to taste the pasta and say the "He's the chef" comment again to the expediter. When everything is done, he tries to fucking help plate? Why? So he can say he helped me? I tell him I got it, and finish my plates. I didn't want him to touch a damn thing.

When everything goes up on the pass, the chef de cuisine walks by on his way out and tastes the pasta and says, "that's pretty damn good." VINDICATION!

Later, while I was putting stuff away in the walk-in, he gives me two containers that are about 1/4 filled. Now, this guy has been there f0r five years, and he starts trying to tell me it's not his job to change the container to the correct size. We argue, and he ends up throwing away one of the containers of onions. What the fuck is this guy's problem? He is such a fucking ass, never wants to help anyone else in the kitchen, and always is the first person to say how others don't help him. If it was my kitchen, he would have been gone for hiding shit already. What the fuck do I do with this idiot. I mean, I don't care what the reasons are anymore, I don't need to put up with bullshit there. He wouldn't talk like that to any of the chefs, so why with me?

Sigh

No comments: