Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Learning Curves, Oversights, and Dinner

Hey everyone. Someone please get Jed to accept my invitation so he can start blogging here. Also, someone please send me kenji's email addy so I can send him an invitation. I'm glad to see Liz and Naturally posting, keep them coming - we want to know what everyone else is up to also!

Now I know I was super excited to go back to work at Piperade and to only have one job. I love the food there, and I love working with the people. However, I am starting to have second thoughts. I know I am still learning, and that the curve can be steep at times, but it has been harder than I thought it would be adjusting. It is so much busier on most nights than it was when I was doing my externship. I have a lot more things to get done now also - make sauces, make stocks, make family meal, etc. To top it all off, I rarely see Cindy at all anymore. I get to work before she gets off work, i get home and she is already asleep, she's out the door while I am still sleeping.

I hate saying this, but maybe this job just wasn't for me. I mean, I'll learn the work related portion of it, and I will increase my speed, but maybe I can't live working nights like that. Not while she is working opposite schedules. I am not built that way, not mentally, not emotionally, not anything...

I really don't know why I thought it would be different. I keep telling myself to just dedicate myself at least one year, and I can do whatever afterwards. It's still early, so maybe it'll get better, but who knows.

I have an idea...
We, as a group, should start a supperclub. We should all get together at least once a month, and cook a menu created by one of us, who will act as the "executive chef" for that meal. That person would be responsible for putting together a menu, direction for each dish on that menu, sourcing hard to get ingredients, bla bla bla. We would need a space that can accomodate friends or family or both, and that has a kitchen we could cook out of. Let me know what you guys think.

Let's meet up for lunch sometime soon and we can actually get this started... and don't forget, someone direct jed to my invite to this blog and someone send me kenji's email addy!!! Thanks

1 comment:

izzie said...

kenji's email: kenjimiyazaki1@hotmail.com