Sunday, June 3, 2007

More Rants About Work

So, I guess you all are wondering what I have been up to. Aside from finishing Super Paper Mario in less than 25 hours, I have just been balancing work and wedding stuff. Some of you may have also gotten what I have been working on. To clarify for everyone, please feel free to bring a date. When you reply, please put 1 (yourself) or 2 (+1). We lost our meat cook at work and are looking for a replacement as I type - anyone want to recommend a good, solid cook?

So I have another rant about some things I am learning at work. Why do all mexican cooks feel it's their responsibility/right to make food - including usage of steak - for the kitchen staff at the end of the night? They use restaurant grade steak, cut it up, cook and stew the shit out of it, and then think its perfectly great. Do they not understand that shit is expensive? They can't use or order the cheaper beef that we get in bulk? Do they not see the pork or chicken?

Why can't some people work clean? Why can't they put their shit away? Why can't they finish what they start? Why can't some people just put meat in the walkin when they are NOT using it? Last night, with 2 people on the meat station, they left a half pan full of lamb out from 5 (when I asked them to put it away) until 10 when I finally put it away for them at the end of the night. Yes, I know it should be garbage and Pong would have my ass, but theory and reality are different things right? And why are they so damn oblivious to everything?

Lastly, I need some advice. So we have this new female server that works lunch shift and started about 2-3 weeks ago. She makes a reservation for 6pm this past Friday. It also happens that the AM Lead is filling in for the meat station. I don't know what the level of their relationship is, but it appears to be "friendly." So her table of 4 sits, and the AM lead starts playing with his phone a lot. He then starts ordering the other guys in the kitchen to start making first courses for the table with only one problem. We don't get ANY tickets from that table. The server is coming in asking what is happening with that table and I have no answer for her. Finally, the server pushes the issue and takes their order. They end up ordering one more appetizer and their entrees. The AM lead also orders the kitchen to send out desserts without any tickets. At the end of the night, I checked with their server to see what they got charged for. She said they got charged for everything except fries. In reality, I know they got their first courses, fries, and desserts all without tickets - without paying. On top of that, they also got a 50% employee discount. I brought something up with my boss, but haven't followed up on it yet. I really resent the AM lead for putting everyone in the kitchen and on the floor in this position. I am pretty sure I am going to follow up with my boss about this. I have lost all respect for the AM lead and the new server for what appears to be an attempt at a free meal. What I really want to know is what you all would have done. Any suggestions or takes on how you would have dealed with this?

No comments: